Thursday, January 27, 2011

Relief Society Activity

Last night was out monthly Relief Society activity. Katie (my friend I mentioned yesterday) is our activity coordinator. Before we get started on our activities she always gives a spiritual thought. They are always excellent, but last night's thought really got me thinking. She talked about envy and how it affects our relationships with each other. (She actually blogged about it the other day, check out this post.)

Last night and in her blog, Katie shared a quote from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland from the Book of Mormon Institute manual. The part that stood out to me the most was this:

As others seem to grow larger in our sight, we think we must therefore be smaller. So, unfortunately, we occasionally act that way. . .

We are bombarded with the message that on the world’s scale of things we have been weighed in the balance and found wanting [see Daniel 5:27]. . . .

But God does not work this way. . . .

I testify that no one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us—insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. He doesn’t measure our talents or our looks; He doesn’t measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other.

I often find myself being envious of those around me. What a wonderful reminder that God loves each of us the same, that just because my best friend is better dressed, and my sister-in-law is a better singer does not mean that I am smaller than they are. In God's eyes I am just as good as they are, as Elder Holland so eloquently put it "the race is against sin, not against each other."

Maybe it's just me, but people try so hard to show a perfect exterior to the world so that they will not be judged and that they will look better in other's eyes. But this is no good. Each one of us has insecurities, anxieties and self-image issues. None of us are perfect in any way. But the, as Katie put it, snapshots that we see of each other's lives make it seem that others are so well put together and we end up feeling less than they are. But this is not true. We are all equal because none of us are perfect. There is no need for envy. We can admire others and hope to be more like them, but there is no room for envy.

Thank you Katie, and Elder Holland, for the gentle reminder that I am worthwhile in God's sight. I know that what Elder Holland says is true and that we are all God's children and that he does love us. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

2 comments:

Katie said...

So true, Julie. So true.

Jen and Josh said...

It was a great activity and perfect spiritual thought! Exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks girlies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...