Sunday, February 6, 2011

Simple Things

It's bedtime. I have a migraine and I'm just plain tired; but I wanted to share just a small little something tonight since I didn't blog yesterday.

We had Stake Conference this weekend and our visiting General Authority was Elder Richard Hinckley, President Gordon B. Hinckley's son. Last night at the Saturday evening session he said something almost in passing, but that stuck with me.

Finances are one of the toughest issues in marriages, most everyone will agree on that. The Church is very big on budgeting, living within one's means, and staying out of debt.  Elder Hinckley briefly mentioned finances last night and he said this (I'm paraphrasing): live with a budget now, and learn how to do it while you don't have any money; it will stick with you when you do get a little money. What wise words! I was struck by them. He didn't say anything overly profound, and it's definitely not something that I haven't heard before. But something in it struck me. It has sparked me to do better with my own budgeting. Alan and I have been talking a lot about finances and such, in lieu of him getting this new Guard position. This comment, and the conversation we had with our friends a week ago has inspired us both.

I am so grateful for the Lord's servants that are given words to speak that will inspire us. I know that God watches out for us and that he loves us enough to help us through this crazy world.

One more wise saying from Stake Conference before I sign off. President Freestone said (I'm once again paraphrasing): now that you are married, the search is over. You have found your partner and must move forward with your loving relationship. Do not look at other people and think of what it would be like to be with them. You are with the one you love and are married to. Keep it that way.


Wise words from a man of God. I am grateful for Stake Conference this weekend and for the Spirit that I felt there. I know that God is our Father and that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. I know that each of us is loved by God and Christ, and that because of that love, we are able to repent and draw closer to them. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

1 comment:

Katie said...

These were both great things from Stake Conference. Thanks Julie. And you did a great job playing the organ too!

Also, I don't know what your style/process is for budgeting, but I have a great budgeting spreadsheet that the Trents gave us (and told us we could share). We love it. Not everybody does. But if you'd like a copy just let me know and I can e-mail it to you and/or show you how we use it.

I've also heard great things about Mint.com. We have an account, but I haven't actually used it at all. But I know others like it a lot.

Best wishes! Budgeting is tricky (and can be stressful!) but it's definitely worth the time and energy. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...