Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Going out on my own

I'm very much a pattern sewer. What I mean by that is I always use patterns when I'm sewing things, especially clothes. And they have to be patterns from the store; patterns that someone else dreamed up and has done all the math so that they come out perfect every time.

But times are changing. The crafty blogs I read are filled with dresses, shirts, pants, and other clothing items where the women made their own patterns. They usually do little girl clothes, and use clothes that already fit their children as patterns. For awhile now I've been wanting to make myself a shirt, but couldn't find any store bought patterns that I particularly liked. I have a couple of shirts in my wardrobe that I absolutely love and so last night I gathered my courage and did it. I took this shirt

Sorry that it doesn't show off the shirt completely
(one from DownEast Basics) made my own pattern and sewed up a trial shirt.

AND IT WORKED! 
Yes!! 

Then I tried tweaking it just a little to make some parts even better. Yeah that didn't work out so well. So I went back to my original pattern and made some different tweaks. I haven't yet made another trial shirt, mainly because I have other things to do today, but I'm really hoping that it turns out how I want. I think it will and I'm so excited! 

I'll post some pictures of it when I'm done. I'll also be posting this in Jess's Flickr group over on Craftiness is not optional for her series The Sincerest Form of Flattery. Go check it out, it should be awesome!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Julie, you are so awesome! I wish I was as cool as you.

Katie said...

Major kudos to you for actually sewing something for yourself! I'm excited to see how it turned out. :)

The Goss Family said...

AWESOME!!! I can't wait to see it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...