Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What you've all been waiting for!

Finally, the post that you've all been waiting for . . . . my color quiet book!


I found this idea on Etsy and instead of buying the kit I just made my own. That way I could do more of what I wanted. I made the book entirely of felt, except for the scraps of fabric inside. Next time I make a fabric book (and I hope to do many more of them) I'll use fleece for the pages; the felt is just a little too bulky to sew together correctly. In fact, I had to hand sew the whole book together because there was no way I was going to be able to use my sewing machine!
Onto more pictures!


 Colored balloons on the front. At first I was going to do shapes to add one more element of learning to the book, but it proved to be a little more difficult.Okay, actually it was more laziness that prevented me from doing that. I didn't have the patience to search the internet for ten different shapes and make them all of the same size.

 You can unbutton the balloons! I wanted to make this book an interactive learning experience. So Killer (and his future siblings) will learn colors, and how to use buttons. Also, it's fun because it's a matching game. On each color page there is another button that the child buttons the balloon on to. That doesn't make much sense, but hold on it will.

Red balloon unbuttoned!
All the balloons unbuttoned!

 Now my explanation about how it's a matching game makes more sense doesn't it?

 I want to thank my mom who provided all of the scraps for this book. Thanks mom! I love you!

 Don't look too closely, it's all wrinkly. I had to do a lot of marking with a fabric marker and I forgot to iron the pages after washing all the ink off.

Yeah, the black page is a little sparse, but that was my only black scrap. And by the time I got to the black page I just wanted to get this done that so I didn't bother to go buy another black fabric.  


So there you have it! My long awaited color quiet book. I want to give a shout out of thanks to my friend and neighbor Katie for taking such wonderful pictures for me, and for selling me those adorable buttons! She made those buttons! Yep, you heard me, made them! And they are so dang cute! Here's the balloons again so you can get a close up of one of the buttons. 
I love the criss-cross pattern on the white and purple. You all can buy some buttons too since she sells them at her cool Etsy store. So go heck that out, and while you're at it check out her awesome blog too. Again, thank you Katie!

Update on my shirt . . . I finally got the pattern perfect and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to go out and get some awesome fabric (tomorrow is payday after all).

Check out my latest quiet book, and my Etsy shop!

12 comments:

Adventures of Kade & Stephanie said...

This is so AWESOME!!! I am going to copy you I hope you know. So with the lettering did you sew that or glue it? SO fun and cute.

Katie said...

It turned out so awesome Julie!

The Goss Family said...

LOVE IT!!! You are so amazing :D

CindyC said...

So cute Miss Julie! Great job.

Amanda said...

I'm jumping over from Katie's blog. I think this book is awesome! I've got a little one who will love this in a year or so and this is going on my to-do list for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Kari Lynn said...

Awesome! Quiet books are the best your kids will love it. Some how I realized I haven't been following your blog! I'm sad but also excited that I have so much to catch up on :) Baby Karl is so cute you are so lucky.

LeeanneA / KMullally said...

That is a lot of work and very well done - inspiring!

Rachael from Little Red Farm said...

Oh my goodness this is just such a wonderful idea and yours turned out great!
Thanks for sharing
x

N.D. said...

just pinned this on pinterest - it is so cute!

Jess and Richard said...

What size are your pages?

infinity said...

I love the color quiet book, is there somewhere I can buy the kit. I love it.

Renita

Julie Rosenhan said...

Renita, I actually don't have a kit to make it. Thanks for your interest though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...