Friday, November 1, 2013

Crocheting--Winter Headband with Flower

The post I had originally planned to post didn't happen. The sun went down before I could get pictures. So I will have that for you next week. Sneak peek, it's a sewing project for me!

So instead I have for you a crochet project. My mom taught me to crochet when I was in junior high, but I didn't really pick it up until I graduated from high school. I still don't know how to read patterns, but I really enjoy it. Someday I'll learn how to read patterns and open up the world of crochet more fully. I would also love to learn to knit (I can do scarves right now, but that's it). 


On to the good part! My sister-in-law gave me a cute headband just like above for Christmas two years ago. She had learned how to crochet them from a woman at work and was gracious enough to teach me. I love homemade winter headgear! I love the creativity behind it and how specific you can get with all the elements. Make a hat...put ear flaps on it...make stripes.... Make a headband instead...add a flower...make it in that chartreuse color that you so desperately love.  Seriously, making your own is the best!
The flower buttons on for easy changing!

This headband is incredibly easy. It's made by looping single crochet stitches until it's the thickness that you want. Add a cute button and, bam! There ya have it. The flower is a little more complicated.

(Instructions for each picture are found in the paragraph that comes before the picture.)

You start by chaining a chain long enough to go around the button making sure that it is small enough to stay on. I used a one inch button on the headband and it took 11 stitches. Loop it together.





Now we'll be using double stitches. Loop the yarn on your hook, and make a double crochet stitch through the center of the loop we just made. Go around the whole loop squishing as many stitches on there as you want. Once you get back to the start do a single stitch in the very first double stitch to anchor it all together.
Forgive the terrible picture
Add double crochet stitches all the way around and then connect the last to the first with a single crochet

Now we make the loops that will hold the petal stitches. You can decide how many petals you want by dividing the number into equal portions. So we start the petal loops by chaining 5-8 stitches. Then we anchor that by counting out the number of double stitches necessary for the number of petals you're doing. Anchor your chain into that double stitch. Continue doing that until you've done all your petal loops.



Now we'll be doing the same thing with the petals that we did with the center--putting double stitches into the middle of the loop. With the first petal put as many double crochets stitches as you want through the loop. In order to separate each petal you need to make the ends stick down. Once you've filled your petal loops with double stitches anchor it down at the both of each loop with a single crochet. Do that all the way around and then tie off after your last anchor stitch, weave your loose ends through, and voila, you're done!




I hope that that made sense. I'm thinking about making a movie to help clear things up. Let me know if you think that's a good idea. If you don't want to struggle through that tutorial, I put this headband and gray flower along with the white flower up on my Etsy shop. Come check it out! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...