Thursday, November 14, 2013

Recipe--Thanksgiving Leftovers

Sorry that I've been MIA again. Lots has been happening at our house lately, some good, some bad. I'll share a few of those things in the next week or so.


Today I have one of my favorite recipes to share with you. As the title points out it's a recipe that uses leftovers from the greatest holiday ever: Thanksgiving! It's my favorite! I love all the good food and the talking and the napping and the family. I love Thanksgiving! In the coming weeks I'll show you what the boys and I are doing to decorate. But today is all about the food.

Yummy looking isn't it?

I'm sure that everyone and their aunt has a recipe that's similar to this, but I'll share mine. I make this all year, not just after Thanksgiving because I love it so much. (Forgive the lack of pictures; I didn't take ones of every step and the boys and I were just wanting to eat it so I didn't try to make a huge backdrop.)

Okay, so what you do is you pile lots of turkey (or chicken) in the bottom of a 9"x13" baking pan. Pile it up high! 

Take your leftover stuffing (or make a package according to the directions) and layer it on top of the turkey. This is my favorite part so I make sure that there is lots. I'll often make two packages for the 9x13" pan. 
I didn't add enough stuffing to this one. I was a little bit sad. 
Then, add beautifully whipped, delicious mashed potatoes on top of the stuffing. I'm originally an Idaho girl so potatoes are especially close to my heart. Potatoes are the best food in the world!


Last, you add gravy. Just pour as much as you want (I do at least 1.5 cups). Make sure to get the gravy all over the top of the potatoes, because it will keep it from drying out in the oven. 


Using a fork, make little peaks I. The potatoes; this will make it prettier than mine and they will get crispy and yummy! 

Bake at 350 degrees for at least 30 minutes, until everything gets warm and the potatoes start to brown a little. 

Pull it out and serve it with some leftover rolls and cranberry sauce! Perfect dinner for the day after Thanksgiving! Or anytime really.  Thanks for stopping by!

(To print the recipe below, just copy and paste into a Word document.)

Leftover Thanksgiving Casserole

Leftover turkey (or chicken)
1 or 2 packages of chicken stuffing
4 or so cups of mashed potatoes
1-14 oz. can of gravy or gravy leftovers

In a 9"x13" pan layer the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. Pour the gravy over the top of the potatoes, making sure that all the potatoes are covered. Take a fork and make peaks all over the potatoes. The peaks will brown in the oven and become a little crispy. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the potatoes just start to brown and everything is warmed through.



Check out my Etsy shop


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...